Shady Grove Closures
Effective, Efficient Service
As part of WMATA's Metro Red line Canopy and Platform Improvement Projects, Commuter Bus Service passengers can anticipate significant impact on daily commutes effective September 11, 2021 through December 4, 2021. Commuter Bus riders may need to adjust their commuting schedule to account for the additional travel time.
WMATA Metro will begin to replace the platform canopy at Rockville as well as repairs and safety enhancements at Shady Grove Metro Stations. The Canopy Project will necessitate the closure of both stations for a duration of three (3) months. During the station closures the Red Line will operate normal service between Glenmont and Twinbrook Metro Stations.
Free shuttle services will be provided to transport passengers between Shady Grove, Rockville, and Twinbrook Metro Stations as follows:
Red Line Local Shuttle
- Shuttle service will make stops at Shady Grove, Rockville and Twinbrook Metro Stations.
- Shuttle service will operate every ten (10) minutes during regular station hours.
- Shuttle service will be provided by WMATA Metrobus.
Red Line Express Shuttle
- Shuttle service will travel non-stop directly to/from Shady Grove and Twinbrook Metro Stations.
- Shuttle Service will operate every five (5) minutes 6:00-9:00 AM and 3:30-6:30 PM.
- Shuttle service will operate every ten (10) minutes 4:30-6:00 AM, 9:00 AM-3:30 PM and 6:30-9:00 PM
- Shuttle service will be provided by contractor buses.
All shuttle services will board and alight on the west side of each Metro Station. Commuter buses will board and alight at the established Commuter Bus stops. WMATA Ambassadors will be available to assist commuters.